LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Breaking News
Comments Hot Spot

Headlines

Friday, 27 January 2012

Have-a-go hero hits Bath bank raid robbers

 

"I'm not a hero," said 88-year-old Gordon King. "It was just instinct." It was an instinct that almost foiled a bank robbery in Bath when thieves pounced on a security van delivering a "significant sum" of money. Although they got away, it was only after a brusing encounter with the retired police officer with 29 years of service. Mr King, who also served in the army, set on one of the thieves with his walking stick during daylight raid. "I was talking to a chap from the army when the guy slid back the sliding door on the van. Straight away I thought there's not much security here! "I started to walk away and I turned for some reason and this chap with a balaclava - I just saw his eyes - and he was trying to snatch the bag away from the security guard. "So I whacked him on the arm to try and stop him." 'Nasty bruise' The tussle with Mr King outside Lloyds TSB on Moorland Road in the Oldfield Park area of Bath saw the ex-policeman injured - but not before he got in a few blows of his own. Continue reading the main story “ Start Quote He could see a crime was in action and he's acted accordingly and has very instinctively gone to help the guards” DCI David Gill Avon & Somerset Police "I gave him a few whacks around the head - I was trying to stop him," Mr King said. "Unfortunately my stick broke and I was pushed to the ground by an accomplice who I didn't know was there. "I cracked my head and got a nasty bruise. I was in the hospital for three or four hours being treated." During the raid, Mr King said he also suffered a pulled muscle and said his hearing has since become muffled. But the Bath resident said he would "do it again". "The police say you shouldn't, but I didn't care if he was armed," he said. "It was the police training that just kicked in." And his actions have drawn praise from serving police officers. Det Ch Insp David Gill said: "Mr King's actions are to be commended - the citizens of Bath will be very pleased with his actions. "On this occasion he had no thoughts for his own safety. "He could see a crime was in action and he's acted accordingly and has very instinctively gone to help the guards. "He should be very much commended for his actions."

Read More

'Anorak and collector' on terror charges

 

Ryan Lavery, 27 and from Ballymote Park, was arrested on Wednesday over photos found on his computer of cars going in and out of Ballykinler Army base and list on paper of their registrations. He's accused of gathering information which might be of use to terrorists. Lavery was brought to a hearing in Bangor on Friday morning in a police van, with a significant security presence in and around North Down Magistrates' Court. A detective told the court that the accused had been living near the Army base at the time the photographs were taken and that he had, during police interviews, admitted taking them and putting them on his computer. Opposing bail, the detective said that police believe Lavery could have been collecting the information for others and that he had changed his name and address on several occasions. But the accused's solicitor Joe Mulholland described his client as "a loner, an anorak and a trainspotter", who was not a terrorist and had no connections to any terrorist group. He added that Lavery had a number of family members who worked for the Army. District Judge Mark Hamill refused bail and the accused his due to reappear in court on February 23, although a bail application will be filed at the High Court next week.

Read More

Monday, 23 January 2012

The Abu Dhabi General Prosecution for Public Funds has ordered the detention of two Europeans and other individuals on charges of embezzlement and fraud.

 

 A year ago, the suspects are alleged to have started a fake project selling properties in the United Kingdom at competitive prices. They allegedly targeted UAE investors. Investigations have since revealed that the company does not have a real estate licence and that the accused defrauded 40 investors. The General Prosecution seized around Dh3 million the suspects allegedly swindled from their victims, in addition to Dh100,000 found while inspecting the fake company. Another Dh250,000 in the firm's account was also confiscated. Article continues below The central bank has been asked to give a report on all the transactions carried out by the company. The means of information technology used by the defendants for the management of their operations have been identified by authorities, with Interpol being asked to arrest the other defendants in the case. An official in the Attorney-General's office urged investors in the UAE to be on their guard and to ensure the companies they deal with are authorised to carry out real estate activities in the country.

Read More

Sunday, 15 January 2012

Birmingham murders: Second man arrested

 

A second man has been arrested on suspicion of murder over the death of a couple in Birmingham. The 41-year old is being questioned over the murder of Carole, 58, and Avtar Singh-Kolar, 62, who were found dead at their home in Handsworth Wood. Post-mortem tests confirmed the couple died as a result of blunt force trauma to the head and that both had been struck a number of times. A 24-year-old man arrested on Friday in Birmingham remains in custody. The couple's bodies were discovered on Wednesday by their son, Jason, a serving police officer.

Read More

Saturday, 14 January 2012

Man arrested on suspicion of murder

 

24-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder over the death of a couple in Birmingham. Carole, 58, and Avtar Singh-Kolar, 62, were found dead at their home in Handsworth Wood on Wednesday. Post-mortem tests confirmed the couple died as a result of blunt force trauma to the head and that both had been struck a number of times. Their bodies were discovered by their son, Jason, who is an officer with West Midlands Police. Officers arrested the man at a house in the city on Friday night. He has been taken to a police station in the West Midlands where he is being questioned on suspicion of murder. Det Supt Richard Baker, who is leading a team of more than 60 officers assigned to the case, said: "This was a horrendous attack. "We continue to follow a number of lines of enquiry and we thank those who have called us so far. We encourage anyone with information to speak to us no matter how insignificant they feel the detail is." Crimestoppers said the double murder was a "vile crime" and has put up a £10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible. 'Special people' The couple had four children and eight grandchildren. At an emotional press conference on Thursday, two of the children made a desperate plea for help to catch their killers. Daughter Michelle Kirwan, 39, described them as "the sweetest, kindest people that I have ever met". She said: "Our hearts are broken forever and our lives will never be the same." Detectives have said they are looking into a number of lines of inquiry, including a rise in burglaries and gold thefts in the area. Speaking earlier this week, Mr Baker said a possible link between Jason Kolar's position with the force and his parents' death was "not a significant line of inquiry".

Read More

Friday, 13 January 2012

Royal Navy captures 13 Somali pirates

 

The Royal Navy has captured 13 Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean, the Ministry of Defence says. RFA Fort Victoria and a US Navy vessel intercepted the pirates' boat, which had refused to stop despite warning shots from a Royal Navy helicopter. Royal Marines in speedboats approached the vessel and boarded it, capturing 13 pirates and seizing weapons. Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said the UK troops, part of a Nato-led force, could be "proud" of the success. "The Royal Navy and Royal Marines are playing a crucial role in securing and protecting international sea lanes that are vital to global trade," the minister said. The dhow was identified as a known pirated vessel operating in Indian Ocean shipping lanes Capt Gerry Northwood, who leads the counter-piracy operation on RFA Fort Victoria, said: "This firm and positive action will also send a clear message to other Somali pirates that we will not tolerate their attacks on international shipping." The operation was carried out around dawn on Friday. Capt Shaun Jones RFA, commanding officer on RFA Fort Victoria, said: "To manoeuvre such a large ship at speed in close vicinity of a nimble dhow takes extreme concentration and skill; my team were never found wanting. "The 13 Somalis certainly found Friday 13th unlucky for them.

Read More

Child benefit cut will go ahead, says Osborne

 

Chancellor George Osborne has said child benefit for higher rate taxpayers will be removed, after ministers' hints the policy could be made "fairer". But he said he would set out in the next months how the policy would be implemented. David Cameron acknowledged there was an issue with the £42,475-a-year threshold - amid criticism the changes unfairly hit single earner families. Labour said the policy was "unravelling already" and was an "utter shambles".

Read More

About Us